Skip to main content

Featured

Peanut butter brownies GLUTEN-FREE

In Italy we don't have something similar to brownies, we have cakes but I never ate something comparable to a cake and at the same time so moist inside without adding any cream. The first time I tasted one, I was confused by the texture and even thought it was raw. The great thing about brownies is their "fudginess." It has to melt in your mouth when you bite it to be considered a good one, or at least to be a good one for me. Sometimes I forget people can have different tastes than mine. After reading tons of recipes, watching videos, and trying several recipes, the recipe below is definitely my favorite. It is easy, gooey, delicious, and so mouthwatering that I would make it every day. Even though I am eating a piece of brownie I made at the moment, I want to ensure you that I am not biased on my choice. Simply, I couldn't resist, and neither might you after taste you taste it!!! Without further ado, here's the recipe.    INGREDIENTS 2 tbsp cocoa powder 40 grams

The ancient grain pizza GLUTEN-FREE


 Pizza for Italians is a must. Every occasion is good for having a pizza. We usually eat an entire pizza and personally I think that a slice is just the way to taste if it is good or not before you eat the rest. 

What allows pizza to be easy to make and pleasant to eat is the gluten. Unfortunately, I can't eat it so I have been trying to recreate the same taste and gooeyness I saw on the "normal" pizzas.

Several years after my celiac diagnosis, likely, "big companies" decided to create blends that help to achieve acceptable results. However, a decent result wasn't enough for me so I continued to try different combinations of natural flours. 

"When I came to the U.S and A." (cit. Borat), I missed pizzas more than anything else, and when I tried the different pizza mix I could find at the grocery, I would say, politely, that I was disappointed. The only way to eat again the good pizzas I was used to was to make everything from scratch.

A few months ago, at the organic grocery near home, I came across Buckwheat flour. I had no idea what it was but it was gluten-free so I decided to give it a try. Obviously, when I got home I looked online at its characteristics and how to use them. On top of giving the crust a satisfying, nutty flavor, Buckwheat (which is actually the seeds of a flowering plant and not wheat at all) is an ancient grain that has a low glycemic index and is a good source of protein, fiber, and antioxidants.

After several tests, I achieved what I consider a good result using ingredients I have never used in Italy.  Buckwheat, Tapioca, and Psyllium husk powder. It was quite a challenge to find the right proportion but here we are.


INGREDIENTS for 2 pizzas


180 grams of rice flour

60 grams of buckwheat flour

60 grams of tapioca flour/ starch

380 grams of warm water

30 grams of extra-virgin olive oil

4 grams of dry yeast

1 teaspoon of honey

10 grams of psyllium husk powder

salt


PROCEDURE


Divide the warm water into two bowls, one with yeast and honey, and the other with the psyllium husk powder. Wisk them well and let them sit for 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile, weigh the flours and whisk them to eliminate eventual clumps. Add the water with yeast and mix it, then add the water with the psyllium. Wisk it until well combined. Add the oil and for last the salt. 

Cover and let it rise for 2 hours. then divide the dough in 200 grams balls each and let it rise until it doubles. 

Turn on the oven at 450°F, make the pizza base from the dough, put on it tomatoes sauce, a pinch of salt, and a round of oil.

Cook it for 11-13 minutes then add again the tomato sauce, the mozzarella, and everything you might like to have cooked on your pizza.

Put it again in the oven for 11-13 minutes.

Let it rest for a minute, cut it and serve it.







Comments

Popular Posts